Monday, May 17, 2010

Boned & stuffed chicken

I must admit this was a bit fiddly, but the end result was worth it.  I boned out a size 16 chicken and removed the skin (in one piece).  I made up a stuffing by gently frying 2 finely diced small brown spanish onions, 4 rashers bacon, 3 cloves garlic, 125gram chopped pistachios and adding this to 1kg of minced chicken (from the thigh) one egg, 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs, a good handful of finely chopped flat leaf parsley, salt & pepper, combining the mixture well.  I then placed this mixture on top of my boned chicken, spreading it liberally and putting it in any gaps.  I then rolled the chicken up as firmly as I could and then rolled it back into the skin, placing a few sage leaves along one side, in between the skin & meat. (Place the bird on some kitchen paper, it makes it easier to roll) I then secured it by tying it firmly with kitchen string, it will look like a very large sausage by the time you are finished.  Next I seared the bird well in some olive oil on all sides till very brown and pretty.  Next into the oven for around one and a half hours.  After you remove the chicken you will see a great deal of juice left in the pan, a small squeeze of lemon juice is all I found that was needed to pour over the bird.  I served it with roast potatoes and greens.

No comments:

Post a Comment