Monday, May 10, 2010

Spaghetti with mussels and scallops

I have had a busy week,  a wedding to cater and various other jobs, so needless to say I have a swag of recipes with accompanying pictures to blog about all of which will take a bit of time....so in the meantime I thought I would post a quickie on one of my family's favourites.
I blogged a couple of weeks ago on Victoria St, in Richmond a place that is very dear to my heart, as I happened to be there last week, just for a change, I noticed my fishmonger of choice had some lovely fresh mussels, so what better to whip up for dinner.  One of my daughters dropped in for dinner and upon seeing what we were having, invited herself for dinner, fortunately I still cook more than I need, scaling down after so many years is difficult.. 



A dish that looks difficult but fortunately isn't. I used 1 kg of fresh mussels (serves 4) 250 grms scallops, flat leaf parsley, 3 cloves garlic, 2 very ripe tomatoes chopped finely, 1 500 gm pasta, 1/2 cup white wine (sav blanc) salt & pepper, oh and 1/2 chill, seeds removed. Put a large pot of water on to cook pasta, do this first before cooking mussels. Clean your mussels, if any are slightly open, tap them and if healthy they should close completely, otherwise throw them away. In a heavy based pan sauté the garlic, do not brown, add clean mussels, wine & tomatoes and chilli, put on the lid and shake the pot to evenly cook mussels 4-5 minutes should do it. Grill your scallops quickly in a very hot pan, oil the scallops not the pan & season, 1 min each side. Pour in your drained pasta, scallops a good drizzle of olive and ahandful of flat leaf parsley into the mussel, combine well and serve with crusty bread. Happy cooking

No comments:

Post a Comment