Monday, April 12, 2010

Kangaroo Stew aka Roogu







Hey mum I made the Roogu! I thought I would send you the photos for your blog!


Cooking with Kangaroo makes you seem really tricky in the kitchen but it is such an easy and tasty ingredient to use. Often when I cook Kangaroo I use fillets and bbq with some spices. I thought I would try something different today. The name came first 'Roogu!' yes a ragu with roo, it's worth making just to announce the 'Roogu is ready!'

I could only find marinated mini roo roasts at the supermarket so to prepare the meat I cut it out of its twine and removed any stringy bits. Kangaroo is really lean but these roasting portions had a little extra fat than you find in fillets which I was pleased with for my roogu! I gave the meat a quick clean as it was marinated in garlic and herbs ala Coles, not a huge deal but often I find the marinade too salty.

I used garlic, shallots, red wine, home made tomato sauce and a mixture of herbs, including rosemary, oregano, parsley and 2 bay leaves all fresh from the garden.


I dusted the roo in flour which I seasoned with a little salt and pepper. I fried it in batches with oil. After the meat was quickly browned I set it aside. Added the shallots and garlic to the pot, after it had softened I returned the meat added the wine, followed by the sauce then quickly chopped my herbs apart from the bay and threw them in.








The roogu cooked for about 3 hours on a really low simmer. 
I served it with gnocchi that I had left over in the freezer and freshly grated parmesan, mmm!








I steamed some green beans as a side for the gnocchi which I made a dressing for using 3 cloves of roasted garlic, a dash of balsamic, a dash of red wine vinegar, EV olive oil, salt and pepper. This dressing was quite thick it looked almost like gravy with the garlic creating a paste. I added only a few teaspoons to the beans while hot and it melted in nicely. They were delicious.

For dessert... Mums chocolate brick - always handy to pick up some takeaway cake! I marinated some strawberries in Cointreau, Aperol and mint to have with the cake.
                                 

No comments:

Post a Comment