Saturday, April 17, 2010

Spice up your Life

Hi Mum. I thought you might like to add a blog about my tagine. Thanks for the preserved lemon :)







The Moroccan Tagine is such a beautiful thing to cook with. Though cooking with the earthy clay variety is authentic and an excellent way to present a meal it is not as sturdy as the stainless steel variety. As you can see from the picture the terracotta tagine is without its base! It is important to soak the clay before use so it doesn't get too dry and hot when cooking and crack. I learnt this lesson the hard way despite saying to myself 'I really should have soaked this again, it has been a while'. Don't worry though my fish tagine was safe and delicious despite wrecking the tagine.



I received this stainless steel tagine as a birthday present and the first thing I made was a chicken and preserved lemon tagine with potato, peas and beans.


Ingredients: 4 or 5 chicken thigh fillets, 2 potatoes sliced, cup of peas, handful of green beans, 1 onion thinly sliced, 2 cloves garlic, 250ml chicken stock. Spices: 1tsp turmeric, 1 tsp paprika, 1 and half tsp cumin, 1tsp ground coriander, 1 tsp ground ginger.

Fry the garlic and onion on a medium heat in some olive oil until soft and slightly browned. Pop the potatoes in and let them soften just a little. Add the chicken and spices, you may need to add a little more oil as the spices tend to soak it up. Allow the chicken to brown before adding the stock and simmer with the lid on. 




My daughter is a wonderful cook, I wish she still lived at home so I could get to taste these lovely dishes, guess I'll have to be happy with just looking at the pictures for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment