Monday, April 26, 2010

Ring a Roast

 Another recipe idea from a special blogger, my daughter!



A few times I have made a roast to take over to the boyfriends house, we have called it 'ring a roast' perhaps I should start a business! The oven at his place not only in need of a clean also takes many many hours to cook and as a result doesn't do a lot of roasting, take away roast it is.

I made this chook the other day. I used free range chickens and give them a quick clean with running cold water inside and out before drying lightly with paper towel and placing on baking paper. Gently lift the skin away from the flesh on the breast for the herb rub. I stuffed each carcass with half a lemon which I squeezed on the way in and a fat sprig of rosemary. In a bowl I mixed a very decent handful of roughly chopped mixed herbs (rosemary, oregano, parsley and sage) with a tablespoon of lemon zest, 50g softened butter, 2 cloves of garlic, salt and pepper. The butter binds all the herbs and makes it easy to rub under the skin of the chicken. With any extra herb butter on your hands rub over the outside of the chicken adding a bit of oil if you run out of butter. Season the outside of the chook with s&p.

These chooks took just over 2 hours cooking together on 180 degrees.  Just after half way I turned them both over to make sure the bottom browned.  The roasting juices from the chook make a delicious lemony gravy. Serve with nice garlic baked potatoes, pumpkin and green beans.

No comments:

Post a Comment